By Becca Wolford
Hemp has been grown for over 10,000 years as food, medicine, and textiles. I have composed a list of terrific facts about this amazing plant we know as hemp!
1. The original Levi Strauss jeans were made from hemp fibers.
2. The fiber from 1 acre of hemp (which matures in 100 days) is equivalent to 4 acres of trees (which take decades to mature).
3. Most of the bird seed sold in the U.S. has hemp seed in it
4. HEMP IS THE NUMBER ONE biomass producer on the planet. It produces ten tons per acre in about a four month period. It is a woody plant containing 77% cellulose (wood has 60% cellulose).
5. All products manufactured from hemp are biodegradable.
6. A hemp shirt in 1776 cost 50 cents to one dollar; a cotton shirt cost 100-200 dollars.
7. The first Bibles were made from hemp.
8. Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings were done on hemp canvas.
9. Hemp is an amazing medicine, treating disorders and diseases such as Crohn’s, Tourette’s, Parkinson’s, depression, bipolar, diabetes, cancer, asthma, heart disease, and many more.
10. Hemp fuel emits 80% less carbon dioxide than fossil fuels, and almost 100% less sulfur dioxide.
11. Hemp is 35% dietary fiber, the highest of all flour grains (and is gluten-free).
12. Hemp is mold-, mildew-, pest-, and insect-repellent.
13. Hemp fabric is UV resistant and will not break down in sunlight.
14. Hemp is the richest source of polyunsaturated fatty acids. With a content of approximately 80%, it is also high in essential amino acids and GLA.
15. A historical note: “Even in England, the much-sought-after prize of full British citizenship was bestowed by a decree of the crown on foreigners who would grow cannabis, and fines were often levied against those who refused.” (The Emperor Wears No Clothes)
16. Alice In Wonderland was originally printed on hemp paper.
17. The hardiness of the hemp plant and the nutritional benefits could eradicate world starvation.
18. Bio-diesel emissions have lower levels of PAH and nitrited PAH compounds (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons), which are shown to possibly cause cancer.
19. Hemp is a non-toxic alternative cleaner compared to chemical-based househ0ld cleansers.
20. Of the millions of edible plants on the planet earth, no other can compare nutritionally to the value of hempseeds.
About the Author
A safer choice: marijuana use rises, prescription use declines (Video)
To watch the vodeo click HERE
Seventeen U.S. states operate voter-approved medical marijuana programs, despite federal interference and raids.
Six states will vote on marijuana-specific initiatives on November 6th - Arkansas,Colorado, Massachusetts, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.
With more and more states enacting pro-marijuana legislation, it is no surprise that prescription use is declining. In a recent USA Today article, it was reported that "the rate of marijuana use increased to 7% from a low of 5.8% in 2007. The number of users increased to 18.1 million from 14.5 million, according to a national survey. There was also a decline in prescription drug use among persons ages 18 to 25, which reflects 300,000 fewer young adults than 2010."
It seems clear that many Americans with state-regulated access to marijuana are choosing to opt for the safer choice, rather than continuing to use prescription drugs, which have addictive properties and are often abused. But what about children and pharmaceuticals?
"The survey, sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, collects data from interviews with 67,500 people age 12 and older.
Administrator Pamela Hyde said the decrease in abuse indicates that public health and law enforcement efforts to curb abuse of prescription drugs, such as the powerful painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone, work," reports the Atlanta Black Star.
While prescription drugs are regulated by the FDA, marijuana continues to be prohibited by federal law under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, so no official regulation or data can be depended on to curb teen use or access.
This federal prohibition - which classifies marijuana as possessing no medicinal value whatsoever - flies in the face of enormous support from the medical community. Included in the list of prestigious supporting organizations are:
• American Academy of Family Physicians
• American Nurses Association
• American Preventive Medical Association
• American Public Health Association
• American Society of Addiction Medicine
• Federation of American Scientists
• Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
• Lymphoma Foundation of America
• National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine
• National Association for Public Health Policy
• National Nurses Society on Addiction
• New England Journal of Medicine
Marijuana has been widely proven to be non-lethal in any dose while offering therapeutic medical benefit for a host of conditions: Alzheimer's, AIDS, chronic pain, glaucoma, epilepsy, autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's, Cerebral Palsy, Fibromyalgia, Crohn's, hypertension, insomnia, bi-polar disorder, aggressive cancers, and many others.
In fact, recent medical studies have proven certain compounds in marijuana have actually eradicated metastasizing aggressive cancer cells, reverting them to normal. Another recent article reported a different compound - cannabinoids which are found both in marijuana and naturally-produced in the human body - could be the key to treating fragile X syndrome, which has been identified as the most common genetic basis for autism spectrum disorders.
Why the federal government continues to ignore the empirical evidence before them while simultaneously holding a patent on marijuana themselves is a question for the American people to investigate.
Patent number 6630507 states unequivocally that "cannabinoids are useful in the prevention and treatment of a wide variety of diseases including auto-immune disorders, stroke, trauma, Parkinson's, Alzeheimer's and HIV dementia."
The patent, awarded in 2003, is based on research done by the National Institute of Health, and is assigned to the US Dept. of Health and Human Services.
With medical marijuana quickly becoming the safer alternative for suffering and ailing Americans, it remains to be seen if the federal government - and the 2012 election candidates - will finally catch up with medical science and public sentiment.
Six weeks to the day remain until the November 6th election. Campaign managers around the nation clearly have research and strategic decisions to make. Do they want their candidates to represent the will of the people or do they want to continue a failed prohibition which has lasted 74 years and cost trillions of taxpayer dollars?
The content of this website is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended as, nor should it be considered a substitute for, professional medical advice. Do not use the information on this website for diagnosing or treating any medical or health condition. If you have or suspect you have a medical problem, promptly contact your professional healthcare provider.
Dr JPB Prinsloo is the oldest homoeopathic practice in South Africa.
The practice, situated in Pretoria, was established in 1956.
To learn more about homeopathy, homeopathic treatment and the legal requirements for practising as a homeopath, visit: